Pressure washing is a very popular method of cleaning as it is both effective and promotes faster cleaning. With a pressure washer, you don’t have to spend hours cleaning the exterior of your house.
There are many advantages of pressure cleaning. For example, it allows you to clean places that are otherwise hard to clean. Not just that but it also giving you better results in comparison to other forms of cleaning. These are some of the main reasons why this is considered to be such a preferred method.
A pressure washer releases water at very high pressure. Due to high pressure, it is quite obvious that your hose will take damage after a long period of use. But knowing how to repair a pressure washer hose at home means you don’t have to buy a new hose each time.
If you notice a leak in your hose then you should try out some DIY technique to fix it. Yes, there are times when repairing is not an option. But as long as it is repairable, why not do it?
In case you are looking for ways to repair your pressure washer then you are in the right place. In this guide, we will tell you exactly what you have to do to repair it. So without any further delay, let’s get started.
Repairing Pressure Washer Hoses
It is quite obvious for your pressure washer hose to incur leaks and holes over time. But with our help, you can fix it in no time.
It is advised that you stop using your pressure washer if you have a damaged hose. A leaky hose will cut down the water pressure. In this case, you won’t be able to clean your property effectively.
Apart from that using a leaky hose can be dangerous for you as well. It can bring great injury to you or anyone around it.
If your hose is in a repairable condition then you should follow the steps given below.
But before that let us make sure that you have all the required equipment for the task.
1. Things You Need
Before you start with the repairing task, you need to arrange all the equipment that is required. You need a complete repair kit to get started.
You can get a pressure washer repair kit at any nearby hardware store. Some kits come has a patch while others don’t. It will be better if you check it before bringing the kit home.
Along with your kit, you should also get your safety gear. A pair of safety glasses and gloves is a must-have for the task. You can get these items from the same hardware store.
Once you have your repair kit ready, you can get started with the steps given below.
2. Steps To Repair Your Pressure Washer Hose
- The first thing you need to do is switch off your pressure washer. For those who are using an electric pressure washer must unplug it from the powerpoint. This is very important for your safety.
- Now press the hose trigger to drain out any remaining water in the pressure washer hose. You need to make sure that there’s no water left inside it.
- The next step is to locate the leak and then drying the area around it.
- You need to make a square cut on both sides of the leak. If there are multiple leaks in your hose, you need to do it for all the leaks.
- Now measure the diameter of your hose. This is required so that you can find a compression of the exact size to fit.
- Make use of a compression fitting to create a compression seal. The female repair coupling is known to rotate counter-clockwise when fitted into the hose. You can use a wrench to tighten it. The male repair coupling is fitted inside the tubing in the hose. You can make use of motor oil to lubricate the tip. You need to use two wrenches to tighten and connect both the pieces.
- In this step, you need to connect the M22 adapter. When done, screw it on to your pressure washer.
By following these easy steps you can easily fix your pressure washer hose. Just make sure that you use the right size compression both for the inside and outside of your hose. This is the most important step in the whole repairing process.
What are the dangers of a damaged hose?
As we mentioned before, you should stop using a damaged hose. It can be dangerous for anyone who comes near it.
A damaged hose can cause the type of injury that will directly land you in the hospital. If you don’t want such things to happen then be wise enough to not use it.
If you cannot repair your hose, you can always replace it with a new one. A new hose is available at a mere cost of $25 which is lesser than your hospital bills.
Here are some of the dangers that can be caused by a damaged pressure washer hose.
- High-pressure water when released through a pin-sized hole is powerful enough to punch a hole in your skin. You should never even try to cover a hole with your hands. You will immediately regret your decision.
- If you have a hole at the end of your hose where you attach the wand, it can be seriously dangerous for you. That’s because the hole is too close to your hand. If you happen to touch the hole by mistake, it can land a hole in your flesh.
- If you think you can repair a hole with rapping, taping, clogging or gluing then you are wrong. The pressure is too high and therefore, these fixes will not be able to hold it. Even duct tapes are of no use in this case. If you still do it, the patch will bust off causing serious injury to you or even damage your property.
From the above pointers, you know the kind of dangers and injuries you can face by using a damaged hose. It is better to just stop using it until you repair or replace it. This is for your safety.
Additional Warning And Tips
Here are some extra tips and warnings that you should follow.
- It is important that you make sure that your hose doesn’t detach itself and cause injury. you need to check whether the rings in the hose are recessed properly. Also, check whether the couplers are tightened well.
- When you are testing your hose, you are advised to do it in an area where there’s no one around. This is particularly important for people who have kids and pets at home. You don’t want your kid or little pet to get hurt.
- You can test your hose at a reduced pressure. You will still be able to find out whether the hose is still leaking or not.
- You should always have your safety gear on when testing your pressure washer hose. This protects your eyes and hands from any damage.
- Using a patch on a pressure washer hose is not recommended. The pressure will burst off the patch which can bring serious injury to you.
- Before you start repairing your hose, you need to make sure that you have all the right tools. Without the right equipment, you cannot complete the task.
- Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that your hose is not repairable anymore. Instead of wasting your time trying to repair it, it will be better for you to just get a new hose. You can get a new hose in just $25 or so.
- When you DIY repair your hose chances are that you haven’t shaped the wire properly and thus, it will fail to hold. In that case, your hose will start leaking again. If this happens to you then you should get a new hose. This will both save your money and time.
Pressure washing is a great way of cleaning the exterior of your property like the walls and the roof. If you are using your pressure washer hose for a long time, expect it to get wear and tear. You can either fix it or get a new one. If you choose to repair it then you can follow the steps mentioned above. Now that you know how to repair a pressure washer hose, it should be easier for you. But there will come a time when you cannot fix your hose anymore. This is when you will have to replace it completely.