Regardless of whether it is winter or summer, it is important to keep your home clean at all times – whether it is inside or outside the home. However, cleaning up is a hard task, and can easily become a time-consuming chore – and the increasingly busy lifestyles today are not helping the situation. That is where a pressure washer comes in to save the day.
Our pick for the best pressure washer for homes: Homdox Electric high pressure washer
House cleaning is not as easy as it sounds. There are many instances when you will have to face the removal of old stains from various sources, and clean up garbage or any pollutants outside the home – not to mention cleaning up the inside of your home, which is a whole other mess.
If all these things are making you feel overwhelmed, you are not alone, and there is some good news for you; pressure washers can give you the freedom back, as long as you are willing to discover their magic. We will talk about some of the best ones you can find, as well as attributes to look for during the next time you go shopping for a pressure washer.
Comparison table for best pressure washers for homes
Check on Amazon
Homdox Electric high pressure washer
Power Stroke PS80519B gas-powered, 2200 PSI gas-fuel cleaner
Sun Joe SPX3000 electric 2030 PSI pressure washer
Generac 6602 OneWash gas-fuel washer
SIMPSON Cleaning PS3228-S 3100 PSI gas-fuel cleaner
Best pressure washer for homes reviews
Homdox electric pressure washer – our pick
The reason this scores as our best pick is its inherent versatility – it scores highly in both medium and light duties around the home, which makes sense as you are not doing very heavy jobs around the house. It does an excellent job at pressure cleaning various areas of your residential compound, such as the patio, boats, RVs, cars, your concrete driveway, lawn equipment, and so on.
- Has an 1800-Watt motor, which generates a maximum pressure of 3000PSI
- Maximum water inlet temperature of 104OF
- Features TSS (Total Stop System), which will then shut off the pump when you are not engaging the system
- Built-in pressurized hose reel to help in storage through easier unwinding and winding of the hose
- 2-year warranty
It is among the more powerful models you can find among pressure cleaners, especially in terms of water output and pressure levels, as well as offering great versatility in the accessories and cleaning options.
Featuring an industrial air cooled brush motor, it will be durable and reliable enough to serve you well for many years. The motor will also generate a PSI of 2200 at a flow rate of 1.6 GPM (gallons per minute). The unit also includes a high-pressure gun, as well as a soap dispenser, and is generally easy to assemble.
The entire body is also quite strong, as it is comprised of a combination of plastic and copper materials, while the hose is long enough to make your job easier as it is about 16.5 feet long. You do not have to worry about moving around with the unit as you clean your outdoor space – the machine is lightweight enough to allow for maximum portability, weighing about 1 pounds.
You will also be happy to note that the head of the pressure gun is easy to rotate, which means you are comfortable enough to clean multiple crevices, and you can adjust the nozzle pressure easily to take care of multiple surfaces.
The only drawback wi2th the product is the lack of a female-female adapter, but you can avoid it by buying a universal connector. It is also challenging to adjust the nozzle flow as the nozzles are not interchangeable like in most models, so it takes a bit of trial and error, as well as versatility.
- Lightweight, which makes it easy to move around
- Powerful enough to clean different surfaces
- Built-in soap dispenser
- Easy to set up and use
- Spray nozzle is easy to adjust
- The nozzle tips are not interchangeable
- Lacks a female-female adapter in the purchase
This pressure cleaner is great if you want to reduce your water consumption, due to its efficiency. It is also very easy to set up and use, and it will give you a high-quality pressure cleaning experience.
Power Stroke PS80519B 2200 PSI gas-fuel cleaner – best in ease of use
Even when compared to other selections you might see in the market, this is the best choice for people that need a little pressure washer that is gas-powered and is easy to use. It is even lighter than most gas powered units, coming in at 55 pounds.
- Has three quick connect nozzle tips – 40O, 25O, and a soap applicator
- Pressure level of 2200 PSI, with a water flow rate of 2.0 GPM
- Has an aluminum axial cam pump that ensures longer life
- PWMA certification
- Engine of 150cc
- For extended reach, it has a high-pressure hose measuring 25 inches
- 2-year warranty
As a general rule, pressure cleaners that have a PSI of between 2000 to 2800 can handle outside compounds, including sidewalks, decks, fencing, and stairs. This is because they are not strong enough to remove the paint from these areas, but they are still powerful enough to clean the surface and crevices that may be there – and this is one of them.
While the pressure levels are not adjustable in this unit, it does have the advantage of three different nozzles that help to adjust the pressure as you work – and they are all in different colors for easier identification. The 25O nozzle is green, and can help clean masonry, brick and concrete as it is the most powerful one. The 40O is broader and gives you an easier time when cleaning your lawn equipment, gutters, patio, fencing, and siding.
The unit is well-designed for use with detergents – which will need to happen sometimes for your result to be cleaner. To apply the soap, you attach the soap nozzle – it does this through a downstream chemical injection mechanism as the water exits the pump, so that the pump does not corrode from within due to any harsh chemicals. The tank holding the detergent solution is one gallon, so it holds enough for one complete session.
Thanks to it being certified by the PWMA, it is guaranteed to serve you well for a long time due to its high quality. The unit is also quite durable due to the aluminum axial cam pump unit, although you will need to be careful with the frequency you use it for – if you are looking for something that can handle very heavy use, it is better to go for the brass axial cam pumps.
To increase convenience, there is an on-board storage area that keeps your nozzles in place, as well as storage areas on the sides to keep the spray wand and trigger handle. The only problem we notice is the issues regarding starting up the unit, but this is not the case for every user – and it should not be a deal-breaker.
- Powerful engine that can generate enough water pressure
- The unit is durable enough
- Lightweight (especially compared to other gas-powered units)
- Quick connect nozzles
- It only allows use of cold water (which presents an issue when cleaning oily or greasy areas)
- Challenges in pressure adjustments
This is the best fit for you if you are passionate about saving your water use while cleaning your home exterior.
Sun Joe SPX3000 electric 2030 PSI pressure washer – best for those on a budget
There are plenty of things you should love about this unit, as it continuously features on the best pressure washer lists. It is also great when you want to handle light to medium washing duties in the home, as well as other surfaces such as those on your car.
- Powerful motor of 14.5 amp/1800Watts, and generates a flow rate of up to 1.76/2030 PSI.
- Maximum water inlet temperature of 104OF
- Can be useful in a variety of spaces and rooms, as well as equipment
- Like the Homdox electric pressure washer, it has Total Stop System (TSS) that shuts off the pump when the trigger is disengaged, in order to save energy
- Quick-Connect spray tips to tackle different surfaces and tasks – 0O, 25O, 15O, soap, and 40O
When it comes to portability, the lightweight nature and inclusion of wheels is not the only plus – the extension cable counts too, as it is about 35 feet in length. You just need to ensure that the cable is not directly exposed to water deposits or puddles, especially when you are standing in water. This can cause electric shocks, even when there are minor cuts anywhere on the cable and you can see the actual wires.
The noise levels are also not too high, except for the sound of water falling on the objects, which allows you to even use it in a quiet neighborhood. One drawback though, would be its durability – there are other models that are better at this, especially when you use it for a long time.
In order to increase the lifespan of the pump system (which is a major concern), the system in use here is a very clever one – the use of TSS, or Total Stop System. This acts like a fuse that shuts off the [pump when you press the trigger, therefore saving your power bills.
You might expect it to have a high price tag due to all the useful features that it has; but it can provide all these useful features without the risk of burning out your budget. At a really affordable price, you get all of them, as well as five spray tips that you can utilize with the technology in use.
Pro tip: make sure to wear protective gear when you are using this washer’s nozzle, and make sure no one is standing near it. There are five different nozzle types as mentioned above, but they can cause serious injuries if you are not careful.
- Long extension cord that allows easy movement
- The selection of detergents allows for easy mixing
- Different selection of nozzles
- Long length of the lance
- It is easy to break the plastic parts
- Not easy for beginners to use the 15 and 0-degree nozzles
If you cannot afford the expensive cleaners, yet want something that can handle multiple surfaces in your home, then you should go for this pick. You will still feel comfortable using it even hours later, as the grip is very comfortable.
Generac 6602 OneWash gas-fuel washer – easy to adjust the pressure levels
E2ven though this is another gas-powered type on the list, it will allow adjustment of pressure levels according to the surfaces you want to clean – and that makes it a good pick in our books. It can also tackle any task you set it out for, whether it is light duty or heavy cleaning sessions.
- 25-foot pressure hose
- Oversize tires to help in easier movement
- Axial cam pump, which has easier connections to the hose
- Spray gun that is ergonomic in design
- Integrated power dial allowing for easier switching of modes
- Detergent tank that is conveniently placed
The maximum GPM limit here is 2.4, making it lower than some gas-powered models that comparatively have similar PSI ratings. The build is great and durable, while the structure of the hose allows you to adjust the pressure levels using a preset scale on the dial (without resorting to changing of nozzles). The lower water consumption also allows you to clean the same space with less water, therefore helping to reduce your water bills.
It has four pressure settings, which all range between 2000 and 3000 PSI, all by turning a knob. This will allow you to clean different places and adjust the pressure to suitable levels, without needing to change the nozzle frequently. It also does its job quickly, without leaving you struggling to clean up the rest of the mess and grime in crevices, regardless of what you are specifically cleaning.
The unit itself also has oversize, pneumatic tires that are anti-flat and comprised of rubber. This ensures that they do not puncture quickly, even when you use it for many years. The most that can probably happen is cracks developing, and that only happens after a very long period of either non-use or use.
In this model, you will be happy to know that there is an active alert system that informs you of low water, oil and detergent levels. All of these are on auto mode, so you do not need to continue checking for these manually. To act as additional convenience, the LED indicator in the system will alert you on these levels, and tell you when you need to recharge – as long as it is functioning well.
- Very good value for money
- Easy to set up and use
- Easy to store due to compact design
- Easy to adjust the water pressure
- Plastic connections that are easy to break
- Requires a mixture of gas and oil to function properly
If you do not mind the use of gas-powered units, this unit is a good introduction for you – it is durable, and highly efficient in water use in the long term.
SIMPSON Cleaning PS3228-S 3100 PSI gas-fuel cleaner – best gas pressure cleaner
Similar to the previous unit above, this is also a gas-powered machine, and can clean a variety of surfaces well. It is also a good choice if you want a pressure cleaner that will last you for many decades to come.
- Wheels measuring 12 inches
- The axial cam pump uses OEM technology, which makes it maintenance-free
- The hose is resistant to kinks and abrasion, due to being comprised of MorFlex
- Steel construction framing
- Comes with five quick connect nozzle tips – 25O, soap, 0O, 15O and 40O
The accessories here include hose, trigger gun, official manual, and a detergent siphon tube. Something you need to note though is that the product might not come with all these accessories, so keep this in mind when you order the unit itself.
Depending on the seller where you buy it from, you will have different ways of easing the process. If you are buying from online sellers, getting replacements and parts will not be insanely difficult, especially if the customer support from the company itself disappoints you. In fact, this is what discourages many people from buying the e pressure cleaners unfortunately, even though their build is quite impressive.
The engine shaft makes it easy to disconnect and connect hoses, and the water pump is at the back for extra convenience. The frame surrounds the core unit, and this will protect the important parts from accidental damages – otherwise, you would be staring at a huge repair bill that is unsustainable.
The pump head is also strong due to it being comprised of brass – which makes it more resistant to oxidization and allows it to be strong enough to last for many years. For majority of other pressure washer pumps, the heads are made of aluminum – which gives them a shiny look, but it is too weak to sustain heavy long-term use.
- The Quick-connect nozzles make it easy to adjust the angles while you use it
- It is easy to store your accessories and other items such as detergent bottles
- Siphoning tube allows it to handle detergents well
- Durable due to the brass axial cam pump head
- Very sturdy build
- Contains a thermal relief valve
- Quite heavy compared to other washers
- Requires monthly maintenance
- You might not need the extra fuel cost
- Poor customer support
- Might not have some parts
This unit is great to use for various surfaces, as it is powerful enough to generate sufficient pressure for a long time. The only thing to keep in mind is the poor customer service (especially when dealing directly with the company) and the extra costs you must incur every month to maintain it.
Unit to avoid
Karcher K5 electric powered pressure cleaner – poor build quality
This mostly offers a mixed experience for most users, because it does not provide all the benefits the manufacturer says it does. Regarding the best features it has, you can expect these from any pressure cleaner, especially the electric ones – but at the disadvantage of inefficient cleaning4 of crevices and spaces between areas due to low water pressure. This makes it disappointing compared to the other pressure cleaners on this list.
Features that demerit it
- Certain components, especially those that are heavily used, tend to wear out quickly
- Vario wand, which is really challenging to use
- The plastic body. Breaks easily due to fragility
The main feature that makes it stand out is the signature Vario Wand from the company – which is just a fancy way of terming the lance. However, there is a slight difference, as this wand aims to promote personalization for you if you want to have extra control in your hands. You can accomplish this through twisting it in either anticlockwise or clockwise motion, which will then reduce or increase the pressure of the water.
This sounds like a plus, but it can be cumbersome if you are unsure of how to use it correctly. In addition, it does not allow the use of different nozzles to clean different spaces, so it is tiresome to try and get the correct pressure when you are just starting off using pressure cleaners. This also makes it quite the unhelpful option if you have never used a pressure cleaner before, and leads to inefficiencies in cleaning.
Pro tip for cleaning surfaces efficiently: first, apply a coat of detergent solution on the surface you are cleaning, then allow it to sit there for about a minute or two. Using the Vario wand, clean the surface from top going downwards to rinse out the soap.
- The unit has a built-in water cooling system
- Good customer services
- Very easy to set up the unit and connect the hose to the unit
- Low build quality
- Tends to lose its balance easily, even if you leave it on a flat surface
- It is difficult to get replacement parts
- It is challenging for beginners to use the Vario wand
- The washers and O-rings tend to wear out very quickly
This specific model will work well for general purpose cleaning, but it will not operate well when you use it in certain tasks. It is better to go for it if you are experienced in using pressure cleaners of different types, as changing the pressure is quite difficult when you have no idea on the correct pressure limits.
What you need to know about pressure cleaners
Important terms to keep in mind
- CU – also known as Cleaning Units. They are the calculation of PSI x GMP (more on that later). It basically lets you know of the total cleaning power that the pressure cleaner can give you, which is a good idea of how effectively it cleans your surfaces.
- GPM – Gallons per Minute. It is a measure of the rate of water flow, and pressure cleaners will usually have a rating of 1 to 5. The higher the rating, the more the machine forces water out, which guarantees faster results – but it can be at the expense of your water bill as well.
- PSI – Pounds per Square Inch. This is a measurement of the pressure the cleaner generates when it forces water out. Gas-powered units will have a higher PSI compared to the electric ones, and this rating will usually range from 1000 to 3500 PSI.
A pressure cleaner is either of two kinds – gas or electric. The electric ones are smaller, and only need you to flip a switch to start them, while the gas-powered ones are larger, heavier, and need you to input a lot of mechanical effort in order to start them.
The pressure cleaner works by spraying water through a nozzle, and this happens at very high pressure. This allows you to remove the toughest stains and dirt – which makes them quite a convenient option for washing cars and other surfaces like concrete.
Factors to consider when purchasing a pressure washer
It is important to choose the correct one for you, as selecting the wrong pressure washer leads to plenty of discomfort in cleaning and inefficiencies in water usage. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
As we mentioned above, there are two kinds of pressure cleaners – electric and gas. Your choice will depend on the most convenient fuel source for you, although many buyers will go for the electric ones because of their less frequent maintenance and saving of fuel bills. They are also smaller and lightweight, which allows one to store them easily between uses.
However, for more powerful models, then it is better to go for the gas types because of their higher PSI rating. For instance, the electric types will have a PSI of about 1000 to 2000, while the gas-powered ones have PSI ratings of 1500 to 3000.
If you are getting a pressure cleaner to handle smaller jobs outside the house, then it is sufficient to get a lighter pressure washer. A midsize washer will handle the heavier jobs, such as cleaning a very large deck, or extensive cleaning of your exterior areas.
Many of the pressure cleaners you will find will have an axial or wobble pump that is of mid-range quality, mainly made from aluminum. However, the heavy-use pressure cleaners will have plunger pumps instead, due to the unit needing something that can withstand heavy use. Wobble and axial pumps are in the more affordable models, with the Wobble pumps being the cheapest and can last about three years (they are not replaceable though).
For axial pumps, expect a life span of three times longer than wobble pumps, while plunger pumps such as Triplex pumps lasting ten times longer than axial pumps.
Hoses will vary in the type of connection, diameter, comprising material, and length. Many professional models have hose diameters of 3/8 inches, while many common hoses will have diameters of 0.25 inches.
Weight and portability
If you are planning to use the cleaner in your home, you will need to move around with it. Electric pressure cleaners are your best bet if you want maximum portability, due to their lightweight nature – they mostly weigh 20 to 45 pounds, and have wheels for extra portability.
However, if you are looking for a commercial pressure washer, they will be heavier because of the larger capacity of water and other tools they must handle. In fact, you can even get some of them weighing 100 pounds max.
Regardless of your pick, you might want some extra convenience – go for those that have a good, sturdy pair of wheels, as well as a carry handle.
There are three basic categories of cleaners, and the difference that marks out all of them is their BAR rating – this will let you now the pressure they can deliver. They are:
- Entry level cleaners – they have a maximum BAR of 100, and they are very good for smaller items to clean. These include garden furniture and bikes, or light patios.
- Mid-level cleaners – have BAR of between 100 to 120, and they can handle your decks, garden fences (especially the nitty-gritty areas), and dirty cars
- Heavy duty cleaners – have BAR of more than 120, and can handle pathways, stained paving, and a muddy car.
Aside from the BAR, you also need to be aware of the water flow rates as well, as it will indicate the water levels that can flow as you use them. The more the delivery, the faster you can finish the job. Many of the machines will have an average flow rate of 400 liters per hour, so you need to ensure the hose length is adequate enough to spread out the water.
The good news about choosing a pressure washer for your home is that you can go for any model that suits the cleaning requirements that you have, as PSI is not a major deal here (other than when you are cleaning painted surfaces). As long as you choose the best one for your needs, it will ultimately make your cleaning work easier.